Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1999 honda accord and I turn the key and it will…

I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 honda accord and I turn the key and it will not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I can turn the steering wheel . the key is old but I tried the new one and it's the same

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am going to trya and fix it . I tried the ignition switch for continuity and I think i have it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had the ignition switch replaced 2yrs ago

1/13/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

You could just have a weak battery or failed starter. Have you tried a jump start yet, or checking for power at the starter?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

i have 12 volts on the batery. I have not checked the starter. but I use to hear the full pump and I don't hear any clicking when I turn the key
i did try to jump start it

Is there a security key or lock icon flashing on the cluster when you try and start it?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

It's on
Then it goes off

Then the security system should be fine. Have you checked all the fuses under the hood and inside the car?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
I have what. Does this sound like it started the other day. It would not even want to turn over
Is it a ignition wire issue
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Phone call session started
I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but I was starting the car without sitting in the driver's seat. . Are you supposed to have your foot on the brake when you start the car

It is likely not an ignition wire. Could be a relay or a corroded wire or mouse chewed wire near the fuse box under the hood. You do not have to have your foot on the brake for it to start. Only need to have foot on brake for a push button start system.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I 've checked the fuses could it be a bad ground wire from the battery

Bad grounds do all kind of stuff so you can check for that. Your best bet is to check for power at the starter. Is it a standard or automatic transmission?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Automatic

Ok. I was going to recommend trying a pop start if it was standard. At this point you need to check with a test light if there is power at the starter when the key is in the START position. If there is not then you can trace back to the relay, wiring, etc...

Ok I will try that in the morning thank 5

Sounds good. your welcome.