Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I want to buy an oem mazda cx 7, 2007 flip key with

transmitter. If if have the...
I want to buy an oem mazda cx 7, 2007 flip key with transmitter. If if have the key cut can I program the transmitter myself? Ie: 3x on/key, 3x door open close I believe i damaged my existing flip key electronics changing the plastic shell.The programming worked until trying to start car, red symbol continued to flash. lock functions worked
Answered in 1 day by:
1/14/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It sounds as if you programmed the keyless entry function but not the transponder portion of the key, which is necessary for it to start. Programming the transponder in a replacement key without a scan tool requires two keys that are functional and will start the engine.

1. Insert one of the functional keys and turn the ignition to on. Leave the key on until the security light goes out. Remove the key.
2. Within five seconds insert the second functional key and turn the ignition to on until the security light goes out. Turn the key off and remove it within five seconds.
3. Within ten seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition on. The key will then program and the security light will go out. Cycle the key off and then attempt to start the engine.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

S08, thank you for your first response. I tried to no avail. I had two functional keys. On one of the functional keys I replaced the flip/ key holder plastic to repair my breaking the plastic locking feature when changing battery. I think I damaged the green computer board, the only functionality left is the on/off lock feature. I was unable to replace the spring under the key when changing the key plastic rendering the flip part not working.So before I invest in another cx7 flip key shell and blank key is there any other programming I can try?
So I am trying to dtermine if I ruined electronic chip board onkey number 2, if it is functional:
1. I will buy OEM flip key with chip, get the key cut at the locksmith and reprogram my self. Giving me a second flip key that is not taped together, Thanks

But you now only have one functional key, correct? You need two keys that will currently start the engine if you want to program additional keys.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician