Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1999 international 4700 dt466 starts and runs fine 3 minutes…

Customer Question
1999 international 4700 dt466...

1999 international 4700 dt466 starts and runs fine 3 minutes later starts to cut off and on like a electrical power issue on one cylinder and sometimes mutiple cyliders,sometimes engine will get so violent will kick transmission out of gear ocassonly will cut completely off completly;starts right back up once temp guage gets to 180 truck runs great rest of day i have replace injector wiring,truck been doing this for three year and with the cold were having longer to heat up,no smoke out of exhaust

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

Replaced both working normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

1999 internatioal 4700 dt466 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Normal maintenace filters,cam sensor, injector wiring under valve cover,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is 15 ton crane weighs around 32000 lbs on smooth road while warms up not alot of hicups climb hill gets worst till temp reaches 180 than runs great no issues

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help if you still need help. Let me know if you got this resolved or still need help. I will be logged in between jobs as time allows. We can follow up as needed.

Auto Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Any fault codes logged in memory?

Last time at dealer no code but it was summer and it would not do it now it stays under 30 degrees and have to travel before it comes up to temp it is acting up till it hits 180 but it runs fine for first 5 min no lights could not find codes dealer said leave with them would you advise that can I try ICP sensor or maybe something that is reading in between cold to operating temp
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Thanks for the info. Confirm you have good fuel supply pressure and no leaks or restrictions between the tank and pump and no air in the system monitoring with a clear hose or sight glass. If okay verify voltage to the ECM/IDM and be sure the power and grounds check good. Check for engine speed signal from the cam sensor as a loss of signal will cause it to stall and cut out and in most cases not run at all. Check the wiring harness for damage, shorts, or corrosion. Test the high pressure rail for leaks with shop air teed into the ICP sensor port and listen for leaks under the valve cover. If present reseal the injectors and rail. Verify you have above 550 PSI/or around 870 PSI in ICP pressure cranking and up to around 4000 PSI with IPR full feilded with 12 volts applied. Let me know

starts good runs for 5 minutes good, than misses or cuts out 1 or 2 cylinder than sometimes goes dead as fast as you turn key to restart fires up , every time hits operating temp 180 runs great no issue untill it cools down than once it hits 180 runs great during summer not to much of a issue during winter must let run and warm up before it goes, been like this for 3 years now that been real cold a problem instead of a nuisance will make sure getting corect pressure but to me act like electrical since soon as it hits 180 every time runs great
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Thanks for the update. Check the things I mentioned to narrow it down. Cam sensors are common issue on these engines as well.

check out what you suggested scan codes first had code 111 also 143 replaced cam sensor with genune international cleared codes started code 143 reappeared,engine must have slight load for miss to appear, read forum that you same code they said piece of magnet was stuck to timing gear could gap be wrong or should we pull timing cover off . why does all issues clear up when water temp hits 180 degrees
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

thanks for the update.... The timing cover is the last place to go one you checked the air gap and harness/ connector pins for damage and in some cases an ECM or software problem could cause an issue but if you have access to a known good ECM try that for test purposes. Let me know

Auto Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.