Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1998 Safari Serengeti Motor Home, What kind of oil…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Safari Serengeti Motor Home, What kind of oil goes in a the Power Steering unit. The color of oil in the unit is red,.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

A fitting came loose and I lost almost all the fluid. It looks like red Hydraulic fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Safari yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. I fixed the fitting that leaked most all the fluid out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, Just what type of fluid to use Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
1/5/2018
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

It takes Mercon V fluid, which is both a transmission and power steering fluid.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

what grade of oil goes in the power steering on a 1998 safari Serengeti RV. the color in it looks like Red hydraulic oil. It doesn't look like regular power steering oil which is clear in color.
Auto Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, it's red due to being Dexron V transmission fluid which can be interchanged with power steering fluid.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting. Rating/accepting does not cost you extra but insures I am credited for my time and knowledge. Follow ups concerning the original question are always free even after rating/accepting. Thank you for using Just Answer!