Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I was driving the other day and all of a sudden there was…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I was...

Second opinion] I was driving the other day and all of a sudden there was this strange whining/ buzzing sound coming from under my car, M35x, it was cold out 10 degrees, no snow! I stopped at the coffee shop, put it in park and the sound was the same as when moving. Turned it off and back on and it was still making this whining/ buzzing noise that is tied to the revs of the engine. It doesn�t get loader with higher revs but mimics a sound you used to hear from speakers that were not grounded. You hear this sound more from inside the cabin and under the car versus, opening the hood. No indicator lights appear. This morning, after starting the car, there was no noise until the exhaust warmed up, then it started to make the sound again. It doesn�t seem to alter any performance and I did check my fluid levels. Weird. any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Nope

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Infiniti Mechanic to figure that out. What year is your M35x?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M35x yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 day by:
1/4/2018
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

SO are you hearing this though the actual speakers?

No, it is not coming through the speakers, it was a description of the sound. The sound is not very load, but mimics the revs of the engine. The sound does not begin until the car begins to warm up. The is no loss of power, no excessive fuel consumption and all operations are normal.

when your sitting the the drivers seat where does the sound seem to be coming from? what direction?

It seems to be close to the firewall down low, if you open the hood and listen you can barely hear it, if you get down on your knees you can hear underneath the car better, more so on the passenger side. I had a stethoscope and put a 20 inch tube on it, to help me better locate the sound with no luck.

You may be experiencing a engine or trans mount failing and transferring sounds though the frame, I would give those a good once over for any issues