Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2004 Range Rover that won't start. The battery is…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Range Rover that won't start. The battery is fine. The key won't turn in the lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

When my foot is on the brake and the key is in the ignition I can turn it with great effort but the key won't turn.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?

I called AAA who said the battery was fine and all they could do was tow it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
1/2/2018
Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

was the key getting stuck prior to this ,not turn at all, the ignition switch on these goes bad all the time,but usually will struggle to turn for long time before they fail completely

do you have one or 2 keys for it

have you tried wiggling the steering wheel while turning the key

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I have tried all of those things. I never had trouble with the key before that. I have two keys and neither works to get the ignition to turn on.

ok i see

have you tried a reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables ,Positive cable First

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

If you call is that $26 over the $31? If so I can just have it towed for free and let range rover deal with it.

there a connector under the steering ,i sent you diagram you need to ,

i m sorry do not handle or have access to billing,customer care does , but a call will cost more money and not needed here really

but no worries i understand if you takeing to dealer

I am not a mechanic and am not going to connect and disconnect wires. I shall call Range Rover.