Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I changed the intake manifold gasket and had to pull the…

Customer Question
I changed the intake...

I changed the intake manifold gasket and had to pull the distributor, had everything marked. After all repaired with new belt, started right up but was making a hammering noise ( only ran for about 5 seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

1999 olds bravada. Yes, if the distributor was off a notch, would that throw everything off?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Bravada yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing since I put it back together. It's a 4.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need to no where to go from here.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
1/1/2018
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Hammering sounds are not good, have you tried turning the motor over by hand at the crank ?

No I have not tried to turn over by hand.

see if it will even turn without any noises or noticeable stops

I'll see if I can get to it from the top , if not I'll have to drop the plastic pan to get from the bottom.
I don't have a big enough wrench to turn it. Have to get one.

a ratcheting 1/2 breaker bar would be best for that

Can't get to the lower crank pulley from bottom cross member in way.

you may have to remove the fan to get to it then

I use a torx on end of alternator, it does have a stop point, tried turning both directions.

sounds like you may have dropped something in the intake and when you cranked it up it messed up the engine, I would pull the spark plugs and see if there is damage to one of not try looking down in the hole for a beat up piston

Nothing was dropped in motor, I kept everything covered when in take was pulled and all holes plugged.

well something is causing it to stop that wold be the first place to look

Waste of money, have a good day.

nice backhanded comment, you have a good day as well?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician