Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Intermittent problems starting a 2002 Suzuki grand cigars…

Customer Question
Intermittent problems starting a 2002...
Intermittent problems starting a 2002 Suzuki grand cigars xl7
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you describe to me what is occuring when you try and start it as well as what has been checked, tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, sometimes car starts and runs fine, other times we only get a click. When that occurs if we jump passed the starter with a screwdriver the engine immediately starts then does, will not idle but will run if you work the throttle. Also, noticed when this occurs with key in on position if we diconnwct the starter wire from the starter, we hear humming from the engine and there is 10.5 volts on the starter wire with it disconnected.

From what you have described here this sounds like the electronic ignition switch itself is faulty needing replaced.It may not be sending the voltage signals it should be when this fault occurs.I have seen several electronic ignition switch failures in the past before cause this type of fault here with it needing to be replaced.

If you have not had this switch tested this needs to be done to see if this is the cause with it needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you walk us through testing the ignition switch? Already have the column exposed and have all tools needed. Note- have already noticed voltage on the switch terminals goes away when the key is switched to the start position.

Test the wires as shown below in the key position shown below.

The white wire with green stripe should have at or near 12 volts DC at all times key on or off.If this wire does not have power let me know as this is not the ignition switch.

Blue wire power with key in accessory or on

Black wire with blue stripe power with key in on or start positions

Yellow wire with black stripe power with key on

Black wire with red stripe power with key in crank/start position

Blue wire with black stripe power with key on

Blue wire with red stripe power with key on

If any of these above do not have the power they should when the vehicle is acting up then the electronic ignition switch needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No white wire with green stripe, only have white wire yellow stripe but it does have power with key on or off.

Ok that is the power input feed then.Test all of the other wires and see if they have power in the key positions indicated when acting up.If one is missing power in the key position indicated when acting up then the ignition switch needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so far for your help. We are still in the process of testing ignition wires but of course can't seem to make the problem again. We will get back to you when it happens again.

Your welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Pete, sorry new years slowed us down. We tested the ignition switch as best as we could and still not throwing it out as a failure but we found something else. After the car runs for several minutes the idle air control valve and it's housing gets very hot. When we start and shut the car off over and over, each time the idle gets lower before rising to normal. After 20 or so starts it just stalls right after starting, with the occasional click and no start at all. Also noticed that it seems the car starts and runs normal until it gets hot, then problems begin.
We're just wondering if the air idle control valve going bad could cause the issues were experiencing.Once again thank you for your help.

Your welcome and no problem.Happy New Year.

When you say the occasional click is the starter not engaging at all to crank over the engine to start it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The starter is new about a month old. My friend who was helping me Sunday is a mechanic he tested it and believes it is doing what it is supposed be doing. He said the click was the starter engaging but nothing happening afterwards.

O.k., thanks for that info.

This can very well be the idle motor at fault.It is heating up to either try and compensate for the issue working back and forth or heating up as it has an internal fault in it causing this fault here needing to be replaced.I have seen and have had to replace faulty idle air motors in the past before for issues like this here.If it is getting extremely warm then it can be the cause.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to go ahead and replace the valve. I'm in Hawaii and there are non on the island and it takes forever to get parts shipped here. How long am I able to communicate with you about this problem?

You can come back here as much as needed anytime before and/or after a rating is left as this will not close out your question.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Pete, I finally received the idle air control valve and after replacing it the idle and stalling issues seems to have been solved. I'm still getting a click every now and then when trying to start but even that seems to have improved. We're seriously confused here. Beginning to suspect the new starter could be at fault. At this point do you think it may still be the ignition switch failing? Or maybe replace the starter again?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We want to try and test the starter, do you know what kind of voltage would be normal?

It is very possible the starter is acting up.

Usually, you want to see 12 volts DC on the large wire at the starter at all times key on or off.Then you want to see 12 volts on the smaller ignition wire at the starter with the key held in the crank position.If you have these signals and if the wires are tight at the starter then the starter needs to be replaced.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician