Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I think my crv has an electrical grounding issue, but not…

Customer Question
I think my crv...

I think my crv has an electrical grounding issue, but not sure how to fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I haven't yet.. just started researching today.. my dash keeps flashing - you almost hear a "popping" sound and then the car loses all power. I thought it was the battery, but it's not. today, I put the car in park and it completely cut out. when I placed in neutrl to move the car to hopefully get a jump from a friendly helper, everything cam back on.. not sure what to ask for when taking to a local mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your CR-V?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

This happened last weekend and I thought it was the battery - the connection was not great because of the sulphur? so I poured seltzer over the top and all was good. I don't know enough about cars to fix on my own unless it can be easily fixed.. just need direction

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's all?!?// thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Car
12/30/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok what you need to do in this case is pull the battery cables off and clean everything with a wire brush to ensure there is a good connection there is a tool just for that https://www.ebay.com/i/222591520712?chn=ps this will get everything good but is there was that much corrosion you should get the terminal spray from the auto parts store and soak it in that so your cables dont get effected, if you can send a pic I can asses the damage of the cables and terminals

hello, this has already been done and the connection is clear. There is definitely something electrical happening. I'd like to take to a local mechanic but ideally I can tell them where to start to so I'm not wasting time and money until they figure it out. was hoping you could provide some insight outside of it being a battery issue..

is there anyway you can send a picture?

I can’t this this moment but will be able to in an hour or so. How long will I have to send? I’ve never used this service.

oh we have many many days and its all at the original fee, some things take a while to figure out

hows it coming?