Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2014 Nissan Murano. A few days ago my back

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 2014 Nissan Murano. A few days ago my back hatchback door stopped opening. I use my vehicle for work and I need to get into the hatchback a lot to load and unload containers that I deliver. I took it to a Nissan Dealer yesterday and they think the latch in the back there is seized and needs to be replaced. They say the only way to get the hatchback open is to break the latch and then replace it at a cost of over $500 to me. Is there any other way to get this thing open and or fixed at a much lower price? I don't have $500 plsu dollars at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I try to do is push the button in the back and open the hatchback. I don;'t know how to fix it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is not an automatic door. It is a manual door in the back there.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Is there any other way to get this thing open and or fixed at a much lower price? I don't have $500 plsu dollars at all. No there is not. It most likely will end up being more than this amount.

Did you see my comments above?
Regarding having a 2014 Nissan Murano where the back hatchback door does not open any more. It stopped opening around a week and a half ago now. I brought it to a Nissan dealer yesterday and they charged me $125 to DIAGNOSE the problem without fixing the problem. According to them the back latch is either jammed or seized. And they say the only way to open the back hatchback door is to break the latch. And then spend over $500 for them to put a new latch on. I do NOT have even close to $500 to spend. And I am very angry that I spent $125 yesterday for their DIAGNOSIS and the car still is NOT fixed. What advice (if any) can you offer me here to get my back hatchback open (it is not an automatic opening door) once again?

Yes, I saw your original post. I even copy and pasted a comment you made from it and responded to it.

I do not know what to tell you because the steps they mentioned are in fact accurate and the parts and labor and diag will come to that amount.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris