Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I own an Opel Astra 2007 automatic transmision, 1.8 Lt.

Customer Question
I own an Opel...

I own an Opel Astra 2007 automatic transmision, 1.8 Lt. engine, hatchback. I bought it just 3 months ago. In general terms it is in very good condictions, and its performance has satisfied to me. There is a point that need to be under anlisis and fixed as soon as possible: it exaust a white and big fumes suddenly. It has happend 3 times in 3 months. The last time just a few days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

80,000 miles total. Yes, It is the original transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Actually I use a technical service in a case like this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don´t think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
12/28/2017
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

to suddenly get a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust then I'd check the coolant level isn't dropping as if there's a crack in the water jacket thats occasionally letting coolant into the cylinders it will be burnt and produce white smoke / steam

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and as a fix for internal leaks I’ve found this product works very well, without clogging heater matrixe’s
http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal

it doesn’t last forever though

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt