Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Bear with me as I explain. 2009 Silverado Flex 5.3. 206,000…

Customer Question
Hello, bear with me...

Hello, bear with me as I explain

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2009 Silverado Flex 5.3. 206,000 miles. Fuel pump has been getting worse recently. All ignition parts good, including the #7 plug (Gets oil fouled).

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

Just replaced fuel pump. Crushed the ground eyelet that connects to the filler neck. Dropped tank a bit to get it out & reattached.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

About a week ago, got in it, drove it about 1/2 mile, it started missing, then missing worse. had the usual p0307 code. Cleared codes after changing pump with OE AC Delco model. (Vin 0)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Now it won't try to turn over with 13.0 volts on battery. After pump was installed, (You CAN hear it prime as it's supposed to) We did get it to turn over once right after we changed it, but now I get a click, like it's the starter, but that was replaced only about 4,000 miles ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Just so I'm clear the engine will not even crank correct? you turn the key but the engine won't even spin?

Hi Eddie, I'm trying to get the truck to start. I'm by no means a newbie at this sort of thing, but with the ground for the pump being in the harness, I'm at a loss as to why the truck wont even try to turn over.
It sounds like either the computer, or there's a ground not connected

I follow you, when you say it won't even turn over, you mean the starter motor fails to crank the engine correct? or is this a crank no start problem?

The only thing different now, that when it was running normally is the pump being replaced. As stated above, we did get it to crank, when it was being jumped (The battery was a bit weak after sitting for a week). It sounded like hell, and there was a lot of missing, now I'm getting a random misfire code p0300, and p0463 (High input from the pump to the gauge, which makes no sense to me)
As of now, I'm getting a click under the hood. The starter was replaced recently though.
I don't know how or why it would've went out. I also don't know why that would've happened during all the pump nonsense

Alright, let me pull the wiring diagram, give me just a minute. thank you.

The plugs, wires, coils, etc. are all in good shape, as I had good power previously. The pump was giving issues for a while now, I asked an ASE GM guy about the particular starting issue (It'd sometimes hold itself in mid crank) & he told me the pump was going, which makes sense with 206K on the truck & it being the original one
The plugs, wires, coils, etc. are all in good shape, as I had good power previously. The pump was giving issues for a while now, I asked an ASE GM guy about the particular starting issue (It'd sometimes hold itself in mid crank) & he told me the pump was going, which makes sense with 206K on the truck & it being the original one. The only other chronic issue is the cats are open & Need replaced (Aftermarket crap) and the #7 cylinder gets oil in it & I have to change a fouled plug every so often. Oh, and through the valve on the rail, I purged the air out of the line from the pump change, thinking that might have caused the missing from when we did have it running. Do you think the computer runs a program that checks alternator function prior to start? Perhaps that would've caused the battery to be weak in the beginning, but I charged it since then & it's at 13.1 volts now.

Here is the wiring diagram, If you put power straight to the purple wire at the starter or jump the relay will it crank then?

I don't know. I'm no longer at home. Something went wrong with your site earlier.
I'd also like to know that if I signed up to pay a $5 fee if my question had an 'accepted' answer, why was my account charged that $5 fee, and a $31 fee that I did not authorize at all?
By the way, the $31 fee overdrew my account.

I do not handle any of the billing, I just answer the questions. Would you like for me to turn this question over to customer service so you can speak with them about it?

please, and thank you Eddie.

Absolutely, thank you.