Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2012f150acwontswitchbacktodashventsonlyflooranddash.alsonofa…

Customer Question
2012f150acwontswitchbacktodashventsonlyflooranddash.alsonofanonfirstsettingonly2and3 Mechanic's Assistant: What...

2012f150acwontswitchbacktodashventsonlyflooranddash.alsonofanonfirstsettingonly2and3

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Fordf150pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Justhappenedthisweekcheckingtoseeifsomethingicansolveorneedrepairservice

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car
12/24/2017
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

this sounds like the control module for the heating and ventilation may have developed a fault

so I'd begin by doing a reset of the system by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

you can also put the system into a self test as follows:

The HVAC Module - EATC On-Demand Self Test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous DTCs can be cleared when exiting the HVAC Module - EATC On-Demand Self Test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the HVAC Module - EATC - Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs.

• The HVAC Module - EATC On-Demand Self Test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The HVAC Module - EATC On-Demand Self Test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault) DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°C-38°C (40°F-100°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.
  • The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds . The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds , after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present, the HVAC module - EATC will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the HVAC Module DTC Chart and follow the ACTION for each DTC given. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\HVAC Module DTC Chart
  • If a condition exists, but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures
  • To exit the self-test and retain all DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The HVAC module - EATC will exit the self-test and retain all DTCs.
  • To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The HVAC module - EATC will exit the self-test and all DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited, the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

also try this :

HVAC Module Cold Boot Process

The purpose of the cold boot process is to allow the HVAC module to re-initialize and calibrate the door actuators. To carry out the cold boot process, follow the steps below.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.Disconnect the HVAC module electrical connectors.Inspect the connections for the following:corrosionpushed-out connectorsincorrectly seated connectorWait one minute.Connect the HVAC module electrical connectors.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.Select any position except OFF on the HVAC module.The HVAC module will now initialize and calibrate the mode doors. Calibration of the mode doors will take approximately 30 seconds.

HVAC Module — Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) DTC Chart

NOTE: Some PCM DTCs may inhibit A/C operation. If any PCM DTCs are retrieved, diagnose those first.

DTCHVAC Module— EATC DTC Displayed DescriptionAction to Take

B12009200Stuck ButtonButton held too long may set DTC. Attempt to clean buttons. If code returns, INSTALL a new HVAC module — EATC. REFER to Section 412-

01.B16761676 Battery Pack Voltage Out Of RangeGO to Pinpoint Test F.B22662266 Left Side Blend Door Circuit Failure

GO to Pinpoint Test O.B22682268 Steering Wheel Climate Control Circuit Open GO to Pinpoint Test

E.B22692269 Steering Wheel Climate Control Circuit Short to GroundGO to Pinpoint Test E.B24772477Module Configuration Failure CONFIGURE the HVAC module — EATC. REFER to Section 412-

01.B27952795Driver Solar Radiation Sensor Circuit Short to Ground GO to Pinpoint Test

B.B27962796Driver Solar Radiation Sensor Circuit OpenGO to Pinpoint Test B.B29562956Servo Motor Left Blend Door Close Line Circuit FailureGO to Pinpoint Test O.B29572957Servo Motor Left Blend Door Open Line Circuit FailureGO to Pinpoint Test O.B29582958Servo Motor Vent Open Line Circuit FailureGO to Pinpoint Test D.B29592959Servo Motor Vent Close Line Circuit FailureGO to Pinpoint Test D.B29632963Driver Seat Heater Feedback Circuit FaultREFER to Section 501-10.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer