Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Gas getting into oil pan and vapor from exhaust. Suzuki

Customer Question
Gas getting into oil...

Gas getting into oil pan and white vapor from exhaust. Suzuki sidekick 1.6 L 16 valve. Engine runs but strong odor of raw gas. Any ideas where I should start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts okay but seems to be using more gas than such a small engine would. I just had this vehicle given to me a few days ago and I really don't know much about what to expect from a Sidekick yet. It's been well maintained by my friend who has owned it for several years but he doesn't know whats causing the problem either. I'm hoping someone there has experienced this problem and may know what I need to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sidekick?

1995

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sidekick yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I used to be a mechanic but at 64 yrs old, not so much anymore. We've only changed the oil and filter so far so I could safely drive it to my home. The oil seemed too contaminated by the gas to run for very long without causing bearing damage so it was mainly a safety precaution.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I know this could have several possible causes but I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator or fuel sensor. Thank you for you time. "Merry Christmas"

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Same to you!

Still waiting...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
12/24/2017
Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Disconnect the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and see if there is fuel in the vacuum line and fuel comes out of nipple when cycle the key on?

If you see fuel coming out of pressure regulator then replace regulator and change oil and filter. If no fuel os coming out of regulator then check pressure to see if regulator is regulating pressure close to 35 psi? If it is within specs then you may have an injector leaking and will need to check and replace leaking injectors.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

If no other questions then please enter a 5 star rating for my assistance today. Thanks.