Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2006 lincoln navigator, with an electrical problem,

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2006 lincoln navigator, with an electrical problem, my car battery has been checked and is only 6 months old, the alternator was checked and is good, but when car is left over night the next morning I have to jump start it. I did notice the little red park light on the shifter is now staying on but eventually goes out, something is draining the battery and sometimes it will drain the battery if I just turned it off and go back 5 minutes later, please help

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No it is not leaking and has been checked by mechanic with this meter thing, no smell either

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything, didnt know where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Im having trouble logging in
to get my answer
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

the red light could be anti theft issue

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot
and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

can you run below test be a good start if no scanner available , we need a capable scanner for for specific,not like local parts store reader ,at advance or auto zoe,since they can not see all navigator modules ,including the theft one, they can only read engine fault codes

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

lets start here and we go from there ,this will require some back and forth

please let me know

chad

I will have to try this diagnostic testing later, how will I be able to pick up from where we left off?
Ok sounds good yes sure read below howYou are very welcome :)
Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me
Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My
my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted
Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.
Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.
You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue
(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)
or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite ExpertI'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone
Thank You
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat