Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

A BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE. I ADDED 1 QUART OIL LAST…

Customer Question
I AM SMELLING A...

I AM SMELLING A BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE. I ADDED 1 QUART OIL LAST WEEKEND, AND I AM STILL SMELLING A LESS INTENSE ODOR. LIKE BURNING PLASTIC/METAL. HARD TO DESCRIBE. WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR \?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

WITHIN 5K

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2013 HARDTOP MINI COOPER S

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

2013 HARDTOP MINI COOPER S

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NOTHING YET MYSELF. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN UNDER WARRANTEE BEFORE. JUST PASSED 100K MILES

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
Wanting to know what things I can check for possible causes. I suspect a leak in oil system, but nothing is visible
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Auto Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

when did the odor start? when you added oil or before?

It was smelling before I put the oil in. That was why I checked it. It took a full quart and looks like it could take a little more, but it definitely is in the range.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if oil is leaking the only way to find it is by tracing the source visually. the most common source would be the valve cover gasket but there are many, many gaskets that can leak

typically tracing a leak involves pulling off a number of shields and covers to get good visual access to the engine

if it can't be readily identified, the next step is to clean the engine and add dye to the oil, drive it for a while, then search again

in terms of non-oil options, some other things that can cause an odor are leaking coolant or a plastic bag or similar that has melted t the engine

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.