Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I replaced an axle seal but am now stuck. I can't get the…

Customer Question
I replaced an axle seal...
I replaced an axle seal but am now stuck. I can't get the pinion shaft back in all the way. it's in about 90% but won't go all the way. I've tried rotating the drive shaft as I push on the pinion shaft but no luck. What is the trick?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Auto Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 8 months ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

what year and make and model is this ?

let me know

2009 Chevy Avalanche.

and you are installing the rear pinion yolk back on ?

i am unclear on which shaft is giving you a hard time

No, all I did was replace a axle seal and put the axle back in and can't get the pinion shaft to go all the way back in.

front or rear axle ?

sorry for all the questions but i want to be sure to give you the correct direction to go

rear axle.

ok and you can not get the axle back in far enough to put the C clip in ?

or the lock pin that is bolted into place to keep the axles in place ?

No, that is done. Now you have to put the pinion shaft back in and insert the bolt and tighten it. The pinion shaft won't go all the way in.

the pin that goes through the spider gears ?

the only pinion is the pinion that the driveshaft bolts too..so again i am just trying to be clear on what part you are talking about

I've attached a diagram showing the pinion shaft.

thank you

if the spider gears are aligned where the holes in the center of them align with the hold openings of the diff assembly there has to be a burr on that pin causing this issue

pull it back out and visually be sure the holes are aligned if they are sand down any burrs seen on that pin then put it back in

if the holes to spider gears are NOT aligned be sure a washer under the small spider gears did not slide or or move the spider gear so the holes are aligned

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

where would I see any washers?
I'm going to have to get back with you after while.

there are small washers under the small spider gears so visually look in the hole the pin goes and see if the hole opeing shows everything aligned

If the washers aren't aligned, how do I align them?I will rate you when we are finished. Thanks so far.

you need to turn the spiders and re clock or position then so the hole is visually aligned

it takes a few times of trial and error to time them correctly so the holes are all aligned

Going to try removing the crossmember that holds the brake line running behind the diff. The crossmember is preventing
sliding the pinion shaft in at more angles. Hopefully that will give more options to line up the washers.

ok let me know

Auto Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 7 months ago

how are you making out ?