Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2000 Hyundai Sonata: no check engine light (I have code

Customer Question
2000 Hyundai Sonata: no...

2000 Hyundai Sonata: no check engine light (I have code reader). Symptoms: while driving, rpm's go to ~ 3000 before shifting into 4th gear. Radio turns on by itself (unsure if this is related to transmission). I have seen odd symptoms in other cars when alternator is about to go out, but would this impact the shifting or is it related to transmission speed sensors (input and output) which is all over the web?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

What light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. It belongs to an 84-yr old nieghbor who is on a fixed income and cannot afford to take it to a dealer.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
12/17/2017
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

While possible it could be the alternator, on this particular vehicle, it is about 90% chance it is the input and output speed sensors even though there are no active codes.

If you could get the last 8 of the vin number, I can pull the schematics and make sure there is no other possible causes.

I saw that all over on the web as the response to the issue, but in almost every case, replacing both sensors didn't work. I am now one of those people as I replaced both sensors as well with no end to the symptom.

This is why I had asked for the last 8 of the vin number so I could pull the schematics and go over them and did not tell you to replace them at this point.