Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Lincoln mkz awd not working no code showing up. Belle tire…

Lincoln mkz awd not...

Lincoln mkz awd not working no code showing up

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Belle tire read the code I dont know it off the top of my head but they have never seen it before (maybe 0678, had something to do with torque

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MKZ?

2007 the mechanics said my code was due to an improper air filter and that my mass air flow sensor was clogged, they put in the right filter, cleaned the sensor and they reset everything now no codes come up but the AWD does not work. A transmission place said they thought something was wrong with the transfer case, but they have not looked inside yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKZ yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i have no clue:)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just what I said, The car is not running weird, but the AWD is not working. In addition an new stereo was installed recently

12/15/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

What exactly are you noticing that indicates to you the AWD is not working?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

I was stuck in snow and only the front tires had any power, then I took it to belle tire and they could not get the AWD to work either.

Ok. On your car you have a transfer case that transfers power from the front to the rear. There is an active torque coupler on the rear differential which is an electronic clutch essentially. What you need to do is to see if the rear driveshaft is moving when the front tires are moving. If the driveshaft is moving but the rear wheels are not, likely the problem is with the active torque coupler in the rear diff. If the driveshaft is not turning then likely the transfer case is at fault.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

which one would be more likely if the awd drive was not working and that no code was coming up showing that that it was not working

Most likely the rear active torque coupler would be at fault since the transfer case is strictly mechanical with no electronics. Usually the transfer cases fail and cause loud bearing type noises, not failure of sending power to the rear.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

is the torque torque coupler an expensive repair?
can the transfer case be rebuilt or is a new one needed if that is the problem? They seem quite expensive.
In addition would a faulty transfer case just take out the AWD or would the cars transmission be totally screwed up?

The transfer case would just take out the*****or cause the vehicle hard to move but the transmission would not be effected. The transfer case would not be rebuilt. It would be replaced.Yes they are both fairly expensive repairs. Transfer case is about 1000 dollars. The rear torque coupler is close to that.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks that was quite helpful. Have a great night.

You are welcome. Have a good evening and a great holiday. Thanks.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician