Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Car ran fine until I was driving and the lights on the dash…

Car ran fine until...

Car ran fine until I was driving and the lights on the dash started blinking quickly and the car died. Car was locked in drive and the key was stuck in the ignition. Disconnected battery and was able to remove key and shift into park. Now green key pops up on dash and lights flash and relays click when I try to start it. Car cranks and does not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006 Acura TSX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TSX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed relays, charged battery, checked electrical connections

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I only have 1 key with no fob

12/14/2017
Michael Solis

Unfortunately this vehicle has an immobilizer system. If the key is not programmed to the ECM, the Green key light will be on solid or start flashing in the dash while cranking, and the engine will not start. The only way to program the immobilizer system at this time is with the factory scan tool or locate a locksmith with the correct software. One quick step you can attempt to see if it is a ground issue instead of a key issue is by connecting any obd scanner on the Data Link Connector and attempt to start. If it starts, you have a bad ground somewhere. If it does not start, then you have to make sure the PCM is communicating. If it is talking and does not tell you communication error, then it will be something involving the Immobilizer. Hope this helps :).

What about the p and D lights flashing? And relays clicking nonstop?

Please follow the procedure I have provided. A bad ground or a bad PCM would cause that because there will then be communication issues. The P and D flashing is telling you either there is trouble codes in the TCM or the TCM cant communicate with the PCM/ECM Tell me which relay is clicking or send me a photo of the relay, thanks.

Didn't start. How do I tell if the pcm is communicating?
Getting a OBD scan tool and see if the scanner can communicate
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great advice! How do I find the bad ground? I had changed the starter about a week prior to all this fyi.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It started when I plugged in the OBD tool but just died and now won't start again.

ok you will need to do a voltage drop test with a voltmeter, do you have one?

There are some useful ways on youtube about how to do one if you don't know how.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now it runs fine. It did this the other day and left me on the side of the road again. I wonder why it is doing this sporadically. Starts without the odb tool now. I'll do a voltage drop test. Any thoughts in the meantime?

Clean and tighten all ground points let me see if I can get a diagram for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No voltage drop at all

Well, since it is currently running you wont experience any at the moment. Its best to go ahead and clean each inspect each just in case.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Have we ruled out a glitch in the ecu?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It communicates with my OBD tool

Not quite yet, but the fact it started connecting the obd first leads me to believe ground issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your quick responses.

No problem!

Michael Solis
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All grounds cleaned, tested, and reinstalled. I'm just scared to drive it any distance now. Tow trucks are expensive. Any advice?
Maybe a full scan with a higher tech scan tool since it’s currently working? Check engine harness make sure no shorts or signs of oil detoriating the harness
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tonight the check battery light came on while I was driving and a few miles later the car died with all of the clicking starting again. The ballast for the HID headlight is going bad and the light flickers and dies when I turn it on. Tried starting with the lights off with no luck. Will not start with OBD scan tool plugged in now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a sensor that is behind the intake that is all melted with wires exposed. I think it may be a knock sensor as the code for a knock sensor came up on my tool. Not sure where to start troubleshooting.

Battery light came on? doers it crank at all? It sounds like the alternator may be out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cranks. Alternator was putting out 13.8 yesterday. Battery light turned off. Battery is strong

ok currently it stalled and no longer wants to start? does it have spark? and pulse?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds like it. Not getting fuel due to immobilizer. It ran for a sec until it used the residual fuel
Ok so the immobilizer is active?
That’s obviously going to be the problem. Let me look into this some more.
Key on engine off check the tps for a 5volt reference plz
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the tps?
Or even the mass air flow sensor, we need to see if we get a 5volt reference on anything. It’s located on the throttle unit the connector disconnect and look for a 5volt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure where the throttle unit is
On the intake
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Will let u know
Awesome
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's a 3-pin connector I have 8 volts on two of the pins and 3 volts on the last. With the key on the volts jump from 7 to 8
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am taking the battery to Walmart to get it tested and fully charged. I also unplugged the melted connector that was on the knock sensor and it still doesn't start
Yea the voltage reading isn’t accurate definitely charge the battery first
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery is good. 12.76v
Can we check another connector off a different sensor voltage. Something isn’t right
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Knock sensor has 3 v
What about an ignition coil
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't check until I get it towed again. Keep thinking about it please. I'll have it here this afternoon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It cranks fine, the immobilizer has the fuel pump off
We need 5 volt reference otherwise ecm may be bad. Let me get back to you this evening when I’m off work and near my software computer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can get a used ecu for cheap but the part numbers vary. Mine is 37820-RBB-A61. The ones that I am finding have the first two sets of numbers the correct but the last two numbers or different. I'm finding A59s and A63s. Do you know what these last two numbers dictate and if it matters in my situation. I've already pulled the ECU. I found some ECU and mobilizers and ignition modules with the keys for a hundred fifty bucks. I'm thinking this is the route that I need to go if it isn't let me know.
Let me go over some things

Check for moisture on the ecm, since it is common for a drained ac drain to be plugged and cause moisture at the ecm and connection. If there is no 5 volt reference on any sensors then the ecm is bad. As for the ECM number, I do believe that last set of numbers needs to match for it to work

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know the second to last number dictates if it is an auto or manual trans and the last number is ***** version number.
It still should match
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know what you mean by that. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if it is a A59 or an A63?

Im saying it has to match A61

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
on the top of the ignition there are two carriage bolts holding the ignition to the steering wheel. What is the trick to remove these?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got them removed. Hammer and chisel. Thanks anyway
Sorry was still at work did not see notification until now. Did you happen to notice any moisture around the PCM connection?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, none at all
Does it still start with obd scan tool connected?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My radio isn't getting power. I don't guess that that couldn't be the ECU could it?
No that wouldn’t be
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It cranks one time but didn't start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The clicking is gone though!
Interesting!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
installed the new ECU, ignition, and immobilizer. Same situation clicking and no crank no start. Fuel pump?
New and programmed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Used and tested. Same part numbers and it comes with the immobilizer and the key and the ignition all from the same vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It cranked but didn't start and then I realized that there were two connectors not connected. One was for the mass airflow sensor and the other one was the connector underneath it I'm not sure what it is. I plug those two in and then the security system acted up. Now it still acts out even with them unplugged
Any codes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No my reader just shows the code that was showing up before for the VSA system
scanning the inmobilzer gets you no codes? What was the other code you were talking about
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
25-01, 61-01, 68-01, 71-01, 83-01, 86-01, 06-01
Nothing comes up in my data base for those codes. I need an actual scan done need a copy of the health report please.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't get it to a dealership. The nearest one is an hour and 45 minutes away
Ok so we have no scan tool capable of retrieving immobilizer codes. Let me do some thinking and research to see if there is a way to jump the OBD port to try and retrieve codes. Will have to get back to you tomorrow when I’m at work and can look into software
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
No problem

I tried doing research, but unfortunately you need a high end scan tool that can retrieve codes. The codes will definitely give us a much more understanding of what is going on

Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis