Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Car ran fine until I was driving and the lights on the dash…

Customer Question
Car ran fine until...

Car ran fine until I was driving and the lights on the dash started blinking quickly and the car died. Car was locked in drive and the key was stuck in the ignition. Disconnected battery and was able to remove key and shift into park. Now green key pops up on dash and lights flash and relays click when I try to start it. Car cranks and does not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006 Acura TSX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TSX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed relays, charged battery, checked electrical connections

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I only have 1 key with no fob

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Car
12/14/2017
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 2 months ago
Michael Solis

Unfortunately this vehicle has an immobilizer system. If the key is not programmed to the ECM, the Green key light will be on solid or start flashing in the dash while cranking, and the engine will not start. The only way to program the immobilizer system at this time is with the factory scan tool or locate a locksmith with the correct software. One quick step you can attempt to see if it is a ground issue instead of a key issue is by connecting any obd scanner on the Data Link Connector and attempt to start. If it starts, you have a bad ground somewhere. If it does not start, then you have to make sure the PCM is communicating. If it is talking and does not tell you communication error, then it will be something involving the Immobilizer. Hope this helps :).

What about the p and D lights flashing? And relays clicking nonstop?
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 2 months ago

Please follow the procedure I have provided. A bad ground or a bad PCM would cause that because there will then be communication issues. The P and D flashing is telling you either there is trouble codes in the TCM or the TCM cant communicate with the PCM/ECM Tell me which relay is clicking or send me a photo of the relay, thanks.

Didn't start. How do I tell if the pcm is communicating?
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 2 months ago
Getting a OBD scan tool and see if the scanner can communicate
Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis