Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2010 Dodge Journey - ESP and Traction Control lights every

time start the car...can't shift...
2010 Dodge Journey - ESP and Traction Control lights every time start the car...can't shift to drive
JA: Has the light been on for some time?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only tried moving steering wheel left and right...usually doesn't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I start it over and over - sometimes 10 times or more - I can get the lights not to come on and drive the car. I also was told at my last oil change it needs an alignment
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

when you press the brake can you tell me if the brake lights come on in the rear of the car?

also there is an emergency release.

its near the shifter, i will get you pictures.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not by the car now but will be in a few hours. Can I get the answer on the brakes to you then?

absolutely, there is no time restraint on this conversation.

no worries.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. Thank you

no problem, i will still upload how to get it out of park so you can drive it if needed.

Lou

There is an override for the BTSI that allows you to move
the shift lever out of the PARK position if an electrical
system malfunction occurs (i.e., dead battery). To activate
the override system, perform the following steps:
1. Firmly apply the parking brake.
2. Insert the key fob into the ignition switch and rotate it
to the ON position.
3. Remove the cubby bin liner located in the center
console behind the shift lever.
4. Insert a screwdriver or similar small tool into the hole
at the front of the cubby bin and push the manual
override release lever forward.
5. While holding the release lever forward, move the
shift lever from PARK to NEUTRAL.
6. Release the manual override.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The brake lights come on...Also, thanks for letting me know about the manual override...

ok if the brake lights come on that means that you have another issue besides the brake switch, at this point you will need to have the codes scanned with a scanner that can read the traction system and see what the codes are and then i can run the codes and tell you the best outcome.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I have to go to the Dodge Dealer to get the codes read?

not neccessarily, its obviously the best option but you can have the codes read for free at parts stores.

some have a scanner that do engine, abs and airbag modules.

or a independant shop like merlins or car-x and just ask them to read the codes for you, some will, some might want to charge a small fee .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok - I'll write back as soon as I get them

ok , gotcha.

Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician