Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Is there a charge for this service? The rest? How much is…

Is there a charge...

Is there a charge for this service?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

The rest?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

How much is the rest?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Why will you not answer the cost question?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much will this cost me?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Thank you.

12/12/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Whats the year make and model of the vehicle and what is the problem your having?

This is regarding a Suzuki Aerio 2003. It will stalls out at red lights or at the end of journey and am slowing down into a parking space or if I come to a stop. Additionally it will randomly poorly accelerate. I have personally cleaned the MAF and the airfilter (days ago) and that made it slightly better, but did not get rid of the problem. I plan to clean the MAP next, but not sure if that will work. A new Idle Air Control Valve was installed in August 2017, a new battery and alternator were installed in November 2017 (not by me). Spark plugs and ignition coil were replaced in July 2017. Intake throttle body was cleaned at the same time. Re codes: see the attachments
i think I have just sent you all the info. I am a mother with little experience. I took one mechanics class in high school decades ago.

with all of that I would delete the codes and see what comes back, also the fuel pressure needs to be verified, im assuming your taking this to a shop ?

I would rather not take it to a shop as I have dumped more money into it than it is worth, but I do want a safe vehicle for my teenage and young adult children to drive. I cannot afford a new car at this time. How do I delete the codes? and how do I check the fuel pressure?

you would need a scanner to delete and view the codes, and to check fuel pressure you will need a fuel pressure gauge, they have all of these at the auto parts store tool loaner program.

Thanks I will try those... why do you think there is a problem with the fuel pressure? Do you think cleaning the MAP will help?
The shop I have been taking it to has done a 2 transmission flushes in one year once In June 2016 and another June 2017. Apparently the transmission fluid is dirty.

Cleaning the map is always a good thing, less carbon the better, and the way it runs would lead me to believe you have a fuel issue, low pressure, im trying to find the pressures you will need to check that at and my system isnt giving me that information, ill have to open this back up to the other techs that may have this information

Thank you, ***** ***** I can do that myself and I am presently checking out loaner programs near me (I'm in Canada)
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Is there any new updates since the last expert?

Hello Michael, the only new update is that I cleaned the MAP sensor several hours ago, took it for short test drive in which the 'slow to accelerate' off a red light is worse in that is more regular, but it does not start off at 1 or 2 km, but can get up to 10 - 20 km/ hr much faster additionally it did stall again when arriving at a red light. So it is not much better at all. I have arranged to get the codes read and cleared tomorrow evening at the oil change place my nephew works at. Did you have a look at the codes I sent that were taken in April and May? I am wondering if the P1717 has anything to do with it. I have no updates fro any mechanics on Justanswer.
Sorry that code should be P0717 - 'Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit - No Signal
Did that trouble code appear again after resetting the light. Was there anything else that came back on since clearing?
I won't know the answer to that until later tonight our time. We are on Mountain Standard Time and I am meeting my nephew this evening at 8PM.
Ok that is fine I will follow up with you then :)
Hello Michael, So my nephew (who works at Mr. Lube) cleared the codes and then his boss noticed the cover over the air filter was not on properly (that would be my fault - I changed the air filter last week) and he felt that was likely causing the problems. When my nephew scanned for codes the only one that came up was P0327 'Knock Sensor Circuit Low'. On the drive home tonight it stalled at red light, and then was slow to accelerate. When I slowed down to enter driveway, and as it idled in Park in driveway it stalled out again. Any ideas? I was certain cleaning the MAF and MAP would have fixed the problem.

I am wondering if the EGR is becoming the issue. Disconnect it and see how it drives with it disconnected.

then?

See if it drives smooth without stalling, if it drives smooth, the EGR is bad and the valve internally is sticking.

if this is the case, should I clean or replace the EGR Valve?

Replace the EGR.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** try that, but since it's 10 PM this will be a tomorrow job.

That is fine :) See you tomorrow, let me know how it goes.

will do

Thanks

Hi Michael,
Just heard that a family friend passed away last night. Need to abandon this project for awhile. Will ask for you when I get back at it - not sure when. Need to close this out for now. Thanks for your help thus far.

I am so sorry to hear about that :(. Yes we can definitely get it done when you get back at it, take care of the important stuff first.

Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis