Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

A 2005 convertible, recently had to buy a new key. Has

Customer Question
A 2005 convertible, recently...

A 2005 convertible, recently had to buy a new key. Has worked great until today. Once I put it in the slot, I cannot turn it. Car is in park, my foot is on the break.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No, 3 months old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just starting the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Car
12/11/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Try turning the steering wheel hard to one side or the other while trying to turn the key.In some cases, this will free up and allow the key to then rotate.If this does not work and if the steering wheel is not locked with no movement and the key is new or newer then this indicates the fault is in the key cylinder itself.The tumblers in the cylinder can bind or come apart internally causing this fault and the cylinder needs either re-keyed or replaced.In some cases, you can spry a small amount of lubricant into the cylinder to then work it to operate it as well.But if it will not turn then a lock smith will need to re-key it or it will need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Technician