Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Rear differential is out on range rover. I started noticing…

Customer Question
Rear differential is out...

Rear differential is out on range rover. I started noticing the growl (but didnt know what it was) on my way home from having the car serviced. I called immediately but couldnt get much response. Finally the service manager called and told me to bring it back down. This was 3 weeks later. The car barely made it back and Im told to spend 4600 on a new differential.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

What does that have to do with a rear differntial?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Range Rover?

15

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I'm told by the range rover mgr who has been the only one to ever service the car that the rear differential is out. It started making the noise immediately after they serviced it. Shouldn't replacement be their responsibility ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
12/11/2017
Auto Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, do you have in writing on say a receipt what all was performed under that last service?

no

any idea as to what they did? I am trying to find out if they serviced the rear diff

We can type

ignore the call request, Just answer send that not me

I dont know if they did. I started hearing the noise immediately after the last service. Two weeks later it is out.

to be honest? this is not going to help your case against them. I am going to opt out and let another expert chime in. Hope all goes well

Auto Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin can we confirm the year of car ?