Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a discovery 3 and it keeps shutting down and F comes…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a discovery 3 and it keeps shutting down and F comes up on the display panel. I think it’s the transmission over heating I renewed the transmission fluid and put in a extra cooling unit but it still does it. What can I do please.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Yesterday and it was all right

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Discovery?

2005 discovery 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have put new fluid in ( with guidance from transmission guy ) and now I have also fitted extra cooling unit

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It only did it when I was toeing but since I fitted the extra cooling unit it has done it while not toeing now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
12/11/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be due to a faulty transmission temp sensor.If the transmission temp sensor is sending a false signal intermittently or when under load this issue can occur.What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a fully compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.This has to be done to help locate the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Technician