Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6 that has a P0174 LEAN BANK…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Ford...
I have a 2003 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6 that has a P0174 LEAN BANK 2 FAULT CODE. I HAVE SPRAYED CARB FLUID AROUND ALL VACCUM LINES TO CHECK FOR A LEAK BUT HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY CHANGES IN IDLE. MY SCANNER SHOWS MY O2 sensors are fluctuating between .1 and .8, My short term fuel trims are SHRTFTB1S1 (%) -.8 AND 1, SHRTFTB1S2 (%) is pegged at 99.2, SHRTFTB2S1 (%) ABOUT 3.1 SHRTFTB2S2 (%) IS AGAIN PEGGED AT 99.2. MY SHRTFT1(%) IS BETWEEN -3 AND +3, LONGFT1(%) IS BETWEEN -3 AND +3. MY SHRTFT2(%) IS +3, LONGFT1(%) IS +23. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY BOTH BANKS SENSOR 2 IS PEGGED AT 99.2 AND DOES NOT CHANGE IN ANY DIRECTION
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/10/2017
Auto Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 4 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

OK
I AM HERE WHENEVER YOU ARE READY

ok

first downstream sensors have 1 job only. they monitor the cat activity. the voltage should be relatively steady voltage and should not vary like the front. the long and shorts you ignore on downstream sensors

ok, did you monitor live data and watch the long term trim on bank 2 upstream while spraying the intake???

Roy

there is no change with the spray
I am live now

ok

it is isolated to bank 2 only.

if you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running, can you feel vacuum on your hand??

is this the dual overhead or the U motor??

very little
not sure

the fact you have vacuum tells me the intake is leaking into the valley. you should not feel any vacuum at all.

check the 8th digit in the vin number

8th digit is a. 2
then no, there isn't after double checking

ok thanks you have the dual overhead cam motor.

I would start by replacing the intake gaskets.

what changed???

I thought that I felt a very slight amount the first time but I used a piece of paper the second and there is no vacuum at the filler

no, not at the filter. at the oil fill tube where you pour oil into the engine

that is what I meant. Sorry type-o

ok

the as air flow would effect both sides

the pcv would effect both sides

fuel pressure would effect both sides.

narrowing it down to a possible clogged injector. it may not be delivering enough fuel to the cylinder and the O2 sensor sees a lean reading.

what should my fuel rail pressure be?
your saying a bank 2 injector?

30-55. you can have good pressure to the injectors but if the injectors are clogged they wont deliver sufficient fuel into the intake

yes, one of the three or more than one

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

ok, took bank 2 injectors out, they are working with test battery and blew them out with about 55 psi. re-installed and still reading 24.2 on longft2 and a between 2.3 and 7 on short side
Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest