Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a freight liner truck that is leaking oil bad from a…

Customer Question
I have a freight liner...
I have a freight liner truck that is leaking oil bad from a high pressure oil line. I need to know the part number. I circled in my pictures the part I need. Last 8 of VIN are YHF03267
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
12/7/2017
Auto Mechanic: Joe, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today. Please bear with me for just a min while I form my reply to you.

Can you tell me the year and which model as well please.

Thanks,

Joe

Are you sure it is leaking from the pipe and not the fitting?

the fitting I was just going to order the whole line

Is the nut cracked or have you removed it yet to check the seat inside?

No i havent. The lower one is leaking

I only say this so that you can be sure it is the pipe/nut and not at the fitting instead. This way to help prevent incorrect part replacement.

I'm looking up that line as we speak.

That appears to be the Huei line. The reason I recommened removing it first is because there's a very good chance you just have a bad o-ring you need to replace and the line and nut is most likely ok. Then I would grab some cleaner such as purple plastic bottle castrol from walmart mix 50/50 with water and spray that engine let sit a few mins and low pressure pressure wash the engine clean, by doing this it not only makes you happier to work on it but it will also allow you to find any leaks that pop up much easier.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Thanks for using justanswer and have a great day!

What size o ring? And where do I get it locally?

Once degreased and oil removed with clean engine I'd also recommend grabbing a can or two of cat yellow paint, this way you can respray everything that is bare metal to help combat rust to those lines and other components.

Should be able to match one up at napa or your local parts supply for heavy equipment/diesel as well.

The steel lines generally don't go bad, the first style with hose used to blow and they went to steel lines there which don't usually go bad unless there is excessive vibration/something loose or nut over tightened.

Thanks,

Joe

To also answer your question about the part number in case the line is what is bad, I believe it to be(###) ###-####

Thanks again,

Joe

The o-ring would be on the fitting side on the other end. Can you clean off the pipe and end of it as well as the fitting side with a rag and brake cleaner to try and get a better look at it please? It kind of looks like the metal on the end of the pipe is damaged but it's hard to see because of the oil build up on it.

Thanks,

Joe

On the fitting/adapter side I think there is an o-ring in the lip of it on the front side flat surface, there is another on the other side threads if it were removed from the housing. I say "I think" because I cannot see it well to see if it's there with all the oil build up.

Thanks,

Joe

I have attached a picture of a new adapter/fitting, in the end you can see the red o-ring recessed into the flat end of it.

The o-ring can still be bad, too flat to seal, shrank, etc. On the other end of that fitting is an o-ring as well but to see where exactly it is leaking from I would clean everything in that area and then start the engine and watch where the oil starts leaking from.

Were you able to clean the end of the line as well to have a look at the mating surface that seals to that o-ring? And also that the threads on the line end are not stripped and no cracks in the tube/line?

Thanks,

Joe

Auto Mechanic: Joe, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago

Good morning, I just wanted to followup with you and check if you have since resolved the problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician