Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Morning I need ur help I’m working on a 2003 Saturn ion

Customer Question
Morning Michael I need ur...
Morning Michael I need ur help I’m working on a 2003 Saturn ion
Vin#1G8AW12F13Z200146
This car tranny slipping big time it has no deep stick I can see and it has a filler cap on top of tranny how do I check it for capacity please let me know thank you sorry to bug uat work man
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
12/7/2017
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Michael Solis

1. Start the engine and operate the vehicle until the trans axle fluid temperature reaches at least 40°C (104°F).

2. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through all the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range.

3. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.

4. Raise the vehicle. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running.

5. Remove the trans axle level plug with the engine running.

6. Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

This one has the trans axle plug under the oil pans wich is on top of the tranny plugs underneath it well I ran it went through the gears took it off leaks out so it’s full tranny’s slips like no first gear tranny gone
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Yup!

I notice on this sure track every time I try to use it it says nothing available wired
The tranny fluid black gray not red lol
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

ya thats no good!! and sometimes it will nolt have some things available it should work though

Yea I call a 800 number for snap on they said same thing you did some thing it won’t have
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

dam im so smart i need to tell my boss i need a raise lol :)

Lol yes you do lol
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

just fixed a 4x4 on a ford f250 08 model. vacuum leaks and more leaks on the lock hub too

Man what we do with out cars we be broke lol. Michael on this cvt tranny the tranny module is it build in the tranny if I remember right
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Micheal I finally got a code on this Saturn ion on the tranny
P1758 and P0841 I feel a miss fire on this car but I can’t pick it up on my new scanner or any engine codes
If it’s a pressure sensor can u see a view of we’re it’s located and what man hours it would take to replace it
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

The mis you feel should pick it up in data stream right? Ill look into the codes now

Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Your saying it needs a new tranny
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes sir, the pressure sensor inside the transmission is probably clogged up with debris, and I get no visual of it and no repair procedure

Well let me ask you this Michael how would a tranny shop rebuild it
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Thats a good question, a rebuilder that knows how to rebuild knows what needs to be check such as vacuum and such. I would just throw a used one in it and flush out the system. It will need a complete rebuild especially with the way the fluid came out. The rebuilder will also likely have to replace the outer shell if it leaks vacuum and such. I had one guy bring me a rebuilt transmission that did not work 3 times and he had to pay me labor 3 times. I told him was bad rebuilder & the rebuilder tried to blame the installer (of course). I sent it to my rebuilder & he found out the outer shell was no good.

Wow that’s just said ok I will find a good used one I bet there going for like $1500 here more then car worth really
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Do you have a good known place you use?

Yea I think Michael jus for my Sanity I will let this one walk cause if this tranny had this problem I bet most of the ones in wrecking yards are going to be bad or on there way out
I might be about to get away with changing the valve body on this but what if it turns around bits me in the ass
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Ever heard of LKQ? Do you guys have one? Offer 6 month warranty :). Or you can try here http://www.car-part.com Some places are crooks though, just got to look at google reviews.

Yeah valve body might bite you in the behind, but you never know. Could be a cheap fix or a waste of $$$

Yea LKQ here there crooks take ur money and send u junk I had nothing but bad luck with them here in California
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

That sucks!!! We have a great one here almost 0 problems and then they cover the labor

Here in California it a big ripoff city ppl aren’t honest just want to take one another money no one cares all money sad really if I do a job for a person I do a lot of research and make sure I give them the most for there money and I fell that’s the way it should be
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Right! Everyone is money hungry out there it seems

Yea well buddy I’m glade u look in to it for me thank you have a good night I’m going let this job walk beside I have 3500 to more for the altornator job my old friend lol
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

LOL! All good, I would of took the job or offer the price that serves value of dropping the tranny 5 times if I got to lol.

Lol night
Auto Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Night bud :)

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician