Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I can't tell if is my front or back left brake, but when I…

Customer Question
I can't tell if...

I can't tell if is my front or back left brake, but when I put the brake on and drive it squeaks when the car is warmed up it will not do that. A friend just replaced all 4 of the brakes and it still squeaks

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time you changed the brake pads?

3 weeks ao

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 SE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lancer yourself? What have you tried so far?

My nephew replace front and rear brakes due to squeaking noise. It happens when I am backing up or stopped and start moving for about 20 seconds. once the car has been driven for a while it never sqeaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it still squeaking backing up and once I stop and start moving for about 20-30 seconds

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
12/5/2017
Auto Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 4 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is caused by a sharp edge on the new brake pads, and is common, you need to remove the rear pads, and use sand paper or emory cloth to champher the edges of the pads, we see this alot with new pads,Tim

They squecked to begin with and are still squecking after the new brakes/shoes

did you machine the rotors when you replaced the brakes?

no. but they look ok
no, but the rotors looked ok I have front disc and back shoes. if I had the front disc brakes done but not the rotors, would the rotors still squeak after putting new bracks on. Why??

if it has rear shoes, and the noise it coming from the rear, it wont be rotor problem, most likely a wheel bearing, can you get it to make the noise when turning the rear axles by hand?

i'm not a mechanic, my nephew changed the front disc and back shoe brakes, due to them squeaking. It still squeaks only when I have my foot on the brake to back up and then squeaks at a couple stops.( same as before he changed the brakes) once car is warmed up it never squeaks. Don't hear the squeak when I am driving. Only when I back up for a few moments and when I stop and once I start moving until the car warms up

ok, he needs to check the rear wheel bearing, they can do this when it is cold, but as it warms up, after moving a bit, it can go away,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH