Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1997 Suburban - Dies intermittently when slowing up and

Customer Question
1997 Suburban - Dies...

1997 Suburban - Dies intermittently when slowing up and turning right. It always starts right back up until it happens again. Does this about once a week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes. Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES. Checked fuel pump pressure and voltage to fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also checked spark - is ok. That is it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Car
12/3/2017
Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Is the check engine light or any other warning light on when the engine is running? If so have you had it scanned for fault codes?

Nothing on.
no thanks
What is status?

If you are not getting any codes then the most common problem will be the idle control and throttle body that needs cleaned. If it was a failed sensor then it would set a code.

I have cleaned the throttle body and air intake. It does not sputter or anything - just dies.
If it is a failed sensor - would always start right back up? would the sensor get reset? What sensor are you thinking of? O2 or something else? A few years ago when an O2 sensor failed it through a lot of codes.

If it just dies then it may be a power relay or electrical connection issue at the PCM. The computer would store codes if it stalled due to a sensor or wiring issue most likely. Since it is an intermittent problem then any information on why it stalls would be helpful.

Why it dies sporadically - then starts right back up is the question I have. Once that is answered then the fix will be easy.,
That information was in my initial inquiry??

What engine do you have? Is it the 5.7, 6.5 or 7.4

5.7, 350

I will have to opt out on this one since the problem is very intermittent and there are many possible electrical wiring problems with this vehicle wiring and systems that may cause the problem. I will opt out so maybe another expert has an idea what may be causing it to only happen on right turns. Please do not respond until another expert responds to you or it will lock questions back to me. Thanks.

Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can cause the engine to die and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. It's possible that the torque converter clutch is coming on and killing the engine as you stop if fuel and spark have truly been ruled out.

You monitored both spark and fuel pressure at the time the engine died and found neither was lost until after the engine had stopped turning?