Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2002 accord. My radio was cutting out sometimes…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a 2002 accord. My radio was cutting out sometimes (once or twice a week) when I hit a bump, but would hit my hand on the side of the dash and it would come back on. This weekend it started doing it a lot more often (2-3 times an hour).Then, when I parked it. The alarm started to go off about 2 nights later all night long (it rained that night).Are the 2 connected? Could a short in my radio cause the alarm to go off? And is the short in my radio, or possibly in the wiring harness?Thanks,Mark
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 day by:
12/2/2017
Auto Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

You do not have a short as a short would cause fuses to blow and the radio would not work at all.

Start with the basics. Pull out the radio and check for any loose connections. Is this an aftermarket radio?

Has the harness been spliced into in any places or is this all original from the factory?

Check all fuses make sure they are installed fully. Check your battery and make sure the connections are clean and tight.

Does the vehicle have remote start? does it have the original alarm or was the alarm added on?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician