Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

After replacing the tierods in my silhouette the steering…

Customer Question
After replacing the tierods...

After replacing the tierods in my silhouette the steering jumped around a little. Now the shop wants me to pay $800 for a new rack and pinion but I wonder if they broke it while changing the tie rods.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Are you a real person?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. What year is your Silhouette?

The fluids are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silhouette yourself? What have you tried so far?

The shop fixed the tie rods but now the rack and pinion is bad.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The rack and pinion seemed fine before they fixed the tierods

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Car
11/29/2017
Auto Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Did they replace both the inner and outer tie rods or just the outer tie rod ends.