Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I need to disarm my car alarm when on a 24 hour ferry trip.

Customer Question
I need to disarm...

I need to disarm my car alarm when on a 24 hour ferry trip. 2014 Megan Convertible 1.6 diesel. Any suggestions please?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

No, I'll give that a go later. Not had the car for long so still finding out about it! Thanks. Second question on the way soon!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not tried anything yet, just hoping to find an easy way to stop the alarm activating all the way down the Bay of Biscay!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I put a suitcase in the boot last week and now the boot separator bar has become detached. Is it easy to put back on?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
11/28/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually, if you leave the door unlocked it will disable the alarm because if you lock it the alarm will be active.The only other way I know myself to disable the alarm is by disconnecting the battery itself for the ferry trip.

As for the boot separator bar inspect it to see if it will easily push back on and in place.In some cases clips or hold downs for the bar can break and will need to be replaced in order to put the bar back on.But you would need to look at the bar to see if it can be attached by pushing it back on or if any clips or retainers need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete