Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2013 Volkswagen Golf GTI. I had to replace the

Customer Question
Hi there. i have...
Hi there. i have a 2013 Volkswagen Golf GTI. I had to replace the steering wheel airbag as it was deployed.i drove the car into the garage and turned it off. i disconnected the battery and waited some 15 minutes before getting started on replacig the airbag.the airbag has two clips which have to be loosened from the back of the steering wheel in order to be released. i loosened the first clip and realized the steering wheel would have to be turned approximately half a turn in the opposite direction in order to access the second pin.the car is a push start and so the ignition does not accept a key. since the steering wheel was locked in position i had to reconnect the battery in order to turn the wheel and access the second pin.when i reconected the battery all the bells and whistles on the dash activated but the steering wheel unlocked and i was able
to position it as to allow me access to the second pin. once i did that i once again disconnected the battery and waited a little while.once i losened the second pin i was able to remove and replace the airbag. HOWEVER!!! at this point i realized the steering wheel lock never engaged again.unlike when i first time i disconnected the battery, this time around i could freely turn the steering wheel. i was a concerned but hoped the problem would not be as significant.once the work was complete i reconnected the battery. i could hear a couple of brief clicks coming from the engine area and i sat in the car. at this point the dash would display a red steering wheel which blinked three times and is accompanied by three beeps. the the icon would turn solid and stays illuminated.no other indicator is illuminated. absolutely nothing except the red steering wheel. the actual steering wheel can still be freely moved around. the radio works. the windows do not work and the radio controls on the steering wheel do not work. i am able to lock and unlock the car using the fob.the push start bottom is illuminated but pressing it has no effect what so ever. even pushing the botton once (which should put the car into the “acc” condition) has no effect.Advice?!?!?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
11/26/2017
Auto Mechanic: tech0405, Technician replied 5 months ago
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Good afternoon so at this point does car does not start at all??

Have you checked for blown fuses yet ??

correct that the car does not start at all. i have checked for fuses and they were all fine.

Does it say key no recognized when you try to start the vehicle

nothing at all. absolutely nothing else shows up on the dash. no other measages. its as if the car is absolutely dead.
the cluster is completely blank. and when i turn the radio on within less then a minute the screen starts indicating the the “battery is low”. battery voltage is 12 and charged it and i tried jumping the car as well to no avail.

Try to remove the area on the steering column trim where it has the cap for the igniton once you remove the cap you will see a black ring there put the key in there and try to turn on the ignition what does it do

ok i will have to try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. thanks for the swift response and we’ll talk soon... i think thats how this works haha. sorry ive never using this website.
i wondered if this could be caused by there being an issue with the battery ground...
Was there issue with the battery ground ?
yeah we can talk tomorrow
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician