Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My car is coming up with OBD codes P0172 and P0175. These…

Customer Question
My car is coming up...
My car is coming up with OBD codes P0172 and P0175. These codes come on after 2 hours of driving long distance after reset.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
11/25/2017
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What year, model, make, and engine size of vehicle?

2006 Mercedes c230
(Non-Kompressor)
V6

Has anything been replaced? How does it run?

We have not replaced anything. It runs a bit loud to begin with.

These codes mean vehicle has too much fuel or not enough air. Since it is both banks the most likely cause would be a restricted air filter, leaking purge solenoid, or a failing mass airflow sensor. I would recommend doing a visual inspection of filter and replace if it looks dirty or hasn't been replaced in a long time. If good you can get approved cleaner from parts store to clean mass airflow sensor and if that doesn't help replace. Anything beyond that you are probably best having a shop check it out so they can use scantool to monitor all sensors during problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Hi I have a OBD2 Scanner at home. I forgot we did cleaned the air flow sensor with cleaner from O Riley's. And we installed new air filter around 2 weeks ago. How do I monitor it in my live data feature on the scanner?

Many DIY type scantools do not offer live stream data so it depends on what model scan tool you have. Next thing I'd do is use a vacuum pump to see if purge solenoid holds pressure, if not replace. If it does then I'd go head and replace the mass airflow sensor. After that next thing to check would be proper fuel pressure, it is also possible the computer may need to be reprogrammed. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

This is the scanner I have
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Airbag-SRS-Reset-Tool-OBD2-Code-Scanner-Diagnostic-Scan-Foxwell-NT630-Pro/152286624410?epid=846681982&hash=item2374fd7a9a:g:AwMAAOSwIjJZP1I7

It looks like you should be able to see live data but I'd still start by testing purge valve to see if it holds vacuum. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Hi I have replaced the Purge Valve because I dont have a vaccum pump. Anyways I would inform you in a day or two. As the check engine light only comes on after 100miles of driving or so.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

I have drove only 50 miles and the check engine comes on. The code is p2190. The scanner also have a Freeze Fram feature I will send you the info.
Auto Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

did you have the air cleaner/top engine cover off recently?

thanks

I have removed it a few days ago to clean the maf sensor as Dan told me to. And I got check engine light.

did you inspect the air filters to see if there was any debris or very dirty?

KEY the round seal that the air cleaner goes to the MAF is that ripped damaged or deformed?

pic will let me see what you are seeing!!

Thanks

ok does your scan tool can read sensor readings while running?

i need to see the reading while idling.

even though you cleaned the MAF sensor i think its reading wrong causing a rich condition.

There is a possibility a MB scan tool is needed. a recalibration and relearn process is needed if a maf sensor is replaced to set the adaptives back to 0 . just clearing the check engine light will not do that reset to 0 procedure!!.

Here is the live data
Ok if you look at the maf reading it is too low. Mag sensor is needed to be replaced then clear codes. Recommend original factory part.
Where do I buy the maf sensor? Does it have to be Mb part or can it be Bosch?

recommend new one from MB one new bosch either one but new not reman!!