Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have an older Yamaha cart. It has a 9 hp engine. The

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Yamaha cart. It has a 9 hp engine. The engine will run, but cuts out when you advance the gas. I have changed the plug, and taken care of the air cleaner. It does not open up when you pull the choke, so i don't think it is starving for gas. Does it have points?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts as usual. It always did need choke to start. No i can't tell any difference in usage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

I really don't know. I think it is probably in the mid to late 80's.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it. I have cleaned the air cleaner, and took it out all to gather to test. I have replaced the plug. This changed nothing. It does backfire when the gas is pressed quickly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to know what type of icnition system it has. It sounds like points.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
11/24/2017
Auto Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 8 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi iim cesar jimenez and im here to help you today.. im reviewing your question now...

have you cleaned the carburetor out? if not i suggest that you take it apart and and clean it. from the symptoms it sounds like it clogged up and not getting enough fuel.

as for ignition type its probably a stator type ignition

from the sound of things, you think it is fuel, and not ignition problems. I will start there and see what it does. Thanks.
Auto Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

yes sounds good. clean the carburetor very good. take off the bowl and the float and clean all the orifices..

Auto Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

hi just checking up on you. please rate me on my services and have a happy holidays