Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1997 j30 alarm sounding, i do not have a key fob, we put the…

1997 j30 alarm sounding...

1997 j30 alarm sounding, i do not have a key fob, we put the key in the ignition and turned it, of course does not start, but alarm did not go off either. This was several hours ago, we decided to disconnect battery cable and leave it over night. If in the morning that does resolve the issue, what next

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I haven't tried to turn it. The key may be an issue but I have had the car since Monday with no issues until we came back from family at about 6:00 EST and my brother opened the door released the hood latch and it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your J30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Disconnecting battery cable, plan to leave it that way until morning

11/24/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I see that you are leaving the battery of the vehicle disconnected over night. This may cure the issue, although, if the vehicle still does not start, you will need to try to cancel the alarm activation by unlocking the trunk or the front door with the key. If this still does not work, Then the issue is more than likely going to be a faulty theft warning control unit. The theft warning relay may also be faulty. You will want to inspect the relay before the module is suspected or replaced. Here, I am attaching the electrical diagram for the circuits along with the system description that explains the cancelling procedure.

Here, I am attaching the location information for the theft relay. Be sure to inspect this relay beforehand.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Having the vehicle scanned will help pinpoint the cause for you.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
I decided not to accept this as I was charged 5.00 which I agreed to, but then I found they also charged 19.00 to my card I DID NOT agree to. I have requested a refund of that. But they did charge it I chose to accept the your answer. I certainly hope disconnecting the battery for the night works but if it doesn't I thank you for this. I don't like it when the sites ding your card for money you never agreed to.

I understand completely and I apologize. Experts have no access to pricing. Thank you for the rating. If you need me I am here.