Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I replaced the head gasket on a 2005 R53 mini cooper and I…

Customer Question
I replaced the head...

I replaced the head gasket on a 2005 R53 mini cooper and I dropped the timing chain. When I started the car I realized I missed my timing marks. I am going to pull the head again and check for damage. I want to know how can I be sure that take the crankshaft, cam and pistons back to the original set points? That is I want to make sure I have the timing right at the right stroke of the pistons. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your MINI MINI. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No mam.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
11/23/2017
Auto Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
You for sure need the timing tool kit for this job , there is no way round this job .
You for sure have bent a few valve or more.
Check Ebay for the timing kit tool set and check well as the asking price is well over 500 us but you can find it for 120 as I did and was a very good quality item .
I will check tomorrow where I found it and pass you the link .
Kind regards Greg
Hello Greg,
I have pulled the head and taken it to a automotive machine shop that I hear is very competent. I have marked the harmonic balance and the camshaft sprocket and photographed the position of the camshaft. When I put it together before I removed the timing chain cover and moved the crankshaft so that the two arrows were pointing to the front of the car and the seam on the block was bisecting the arrows. I moved the cam shaft to the TDC and checked it with a square. I had an arrow there pointing straight up in relation to the block. Then when I installed the chain the two copper chain links were lined up with the two arrows on the crank shaft and the single copper link was on mark with the arrow on the cam shaft sprocket. My Haynes book suggested that this would get my timing straight and I would be restarting with the factory settings. Is this the right procedure?RegardsDan
Dan when I get into work tomorrow I will check this for your, just done a 2010 which I think is the same if it is
You need the locking tools or you will be a long way off .
Greg
Hello Greg,
I tried to explain my situation in detail by email. Have you got anything for me other than buy the timing kit?RegardsDan
Dan the cams and crankshaft sprockets are free running fittings
Which means first the cams and crank must be locked in place,
Then the sprockets are timed with the marks to chain link marks locked in place then torqued down .
Got too much slack in the chain on one side timing will be out a half tooth or so and is noticed when engine is running .
Will look for the details tomorrow morning and send you and a photo of my timing tool set so you get a better idea .
Greg
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician