Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Camshaft moved while doing timing belt

Customer Question
camshaft moved while doing timing belt
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
11/22/2017
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Are you looking for a timing mark diagram?

Hello I have the service manual and some online guides. Everything is going as it should, but when I released the tension valve to remove the timing belt, both camshaft moved about an inch from their timing marks.
Can I move the camshafts back to where they need to be without causing damage? And do I move them clockwise or counter?

Yes you can move them back without damaged and you can try to move them either way but depending on where pistons are you may need to turn the other way. There will be no damage as long as you you don't try to force camshafts if they make contact with pistons. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Hey Dan. So I realized this morning the crankshaft has 2 timing marks (1 is for where a new belt sits) and I used the wrong one... and then removed the belt. So now I'm just going to use the book's steps for resetting the timing from scratch, which aren't too difficult. It says to put the crankshaft in the right spot, back it up 45 degrees to place all the pistons in the halfway mark. Rotate the camshafts until they set themselves (could take 9 turns). Then put the crankshaft back to TDC. My question is - can I turn the crankshaft 180 degrees without hurting the cams? That doesn't seem right

After doubel checking this engine is a non interference so valves and pistons don't make contact. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

OMG, since you replied I've been reading pages and pages of arguments about whether these engines are interface or non. My book says it is, some pro websites say no. PlanetIsuzoo has some previous Isuzu tech who say both, but mostly the consensus is non.... ugh.
Either way, I assume if it's non I can rotate the crankshaft all day. If it is... what do I do?

My database says it is not interference and it hasn't been wrong for me yet, it is a professional database that gets information directly from manufacture. But if for some reason it is wrong you would need to rotate the camshafts to allow it to turn. You will feel valves make contact with pistons if it is a interference engine but I wouldn't be too concerned that it is. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

What would the pistons hitting the valves feel like? I rotated the engine several times yesterday getting the TDC, so I know how it feels when they all move together. The pressure builds up right at compression like walking up a hill, and then right at the peek it took engaging my shoulder too give it a good push.. so what would the piston on the valve feel like? Would be a complete stop?

If pistons his valves it would coumpletely stop crank from rotating, you would have to REALLY muscle through it to get past it. I'd also remove spark plugs so compression isn't effecting anything. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Hey Dan, I'm towards the end. The crank rotated like nothing with the spark plugs out. I'm a little confused on the camshaft timing reset procedure though. The books says to rotate the driver's side cam and it will spring into different positions. It seems to suggest letting it spring into a 10 o'clock position and then manually sliding it 90 degrees to the timing mark. Then the passenger side will spring right into the timing mark (no adjustment needed). Does your info say the same thing? I ask because both cams are happy to spring right to their timing marks, without adjustment.

Here are instructions I have, it says after rotating timing marks will not be aligned which is normal. Let me know if you have questions, thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyuunel9wf64l5r/timingbelt.pdf?dl=0

Hey the page you sent is about putting the belt on if the timing is set. I need how to set it before the belt is put on.

You need to line up all the marks, here is a picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4r1jy0d1kdfd6f/marksr.pdf?dl=0

Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.