Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Fuel gauge reads empty when full and goes to full when

empty. Assuming it is sending...
Fuel gauge reads empty when full and goes to full when empty. Assuming it is sending unit but not sure why it would work backwards. 2002 clk430 cabriolrt
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts and runs fine. About 330nkilometers to a tank
JA: Are you fixing your CLK430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried injector clean and using chevron 94 octane fuel as suggested on mb site
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How to access the sending unit. Various answers on mb world
11/22/2017
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Does this only happen when you add fuel to the vehicle ??

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Goes to empty when i fill up. Red warning light on. As i drive the gauge works towards the full mart. Usually ie empty between the full a nd 3/4 full mark

Ok you have 2 sending unit in this vehicle you have a left and a right one they are located under the rear seat bottom you will need to raise the seat bottom to be able to get access to the panel where the fuel pump is located .If you have the trouble codes checked you will more then likely see you have trouble codes for sending units. I hope this helps please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Acess to sending unit is not under seat. Have checked.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Have had codes checked and no codes. Acess to sending unit is not under seat.

is this a coupe or convertible

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Convertable

Sorry for the delay got tight up in another customers issue , do me a favor can you checked the bottom of the fuel tank i taught you had a coupe

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Car to low to crawl under. What did you want mart to look at

On these Clk there where a couple locations they would put them depending on trim levels, year and engines thats why i asked we have seen them under the vehicle on the bottom of the tank , under the top and behind the rear seat in the trunk

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thats why i contacted your website as i thought a proffesional mb mechanic would know where hthe acess was on a 2002 clk430 covertable. I checked back seat and trunk and know that they are not in either of those places. Still doesnt explain why the gauge works perfectly except backwards. If the unit was shot i would think it wouldnt work at all

Send me the vin # of the vehicle and i will have access to my repair manual tomorrow while am back at the shop

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Vin# WDBLK70G92T102510
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
WDBLK70G92T102510

Ok i will check this tomorrow thanks

Sorry for the delay fuel sending units are located of the bottom of the fuel tank here is a picture of the sending unit . I hope this helps please don’t forget to provide feedback /star rating thank you
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No picture but thanks for the reply

give me a second let me try to find it again it did not upload for me

Here you go it shows the look of the sending unit one for each side please don't forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you

tech0405
tech0405, Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you
tech0405
tech0405
tech0405, Technician