Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2012 Jeep Liberty center tail light not working. Checked…

2012 Jeep Liberty center...

2012 Jeep Liberty center tail light not working. Checked fuses - all look ok, moved a couple around, light still not working. Bought new light assembly from Jeep - no lights. Checked with volt meter - nothing to plug in at rear center tail light assembly. Pulled fuse under hood - shows no power either side when brake pedal is pushed. Both rear tail lights work fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything in the above paragraph

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

11/21/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

what size engine please?

3.7

thank you, ***** *****

bothe tail light brake lights come on when pressing the pedal?

both are working fine.

ok, ok and its the center brake light not working... correct?

Is there a secondary fuse box or switch that may be tipped?

no. they all run off the same relays, circuit board and switch

diagram

page 2

M1 is the center brake light fuse. Since it says "Hot all the time" shouldn't I be getting a volt reading when testing one side or the other of the fuse prongs?

absolutely. let me pull up the power distribution

straight out of the TIPM

Second diagram shows where the grounds are for both tail lights but not the center tail light.

THhe first print shows that ground

license lamps working?

The last diagram shows two relays - Stop lamp switch and brake lamp activation relay. Would they just be for the center light or all 3 tail lamps?

all 3

License plate lamp working. Well, eliminates those relays.
I see where the center stop lamp and license plate light go to the same ground.

looks like you need to check power at the brake light

Center light has no power, Both other lights work fine.

did you check for voltage?

Did that once. Going to check again right now.
Pulled M1 fuse and have power to that fuse. Checking for power at rear center tail light. Wife has to go to the bathroom before she can step on the brake pedal.

ok.

Not showing any power at the rear center light. Have both a 12 volt tester that shows 6.8 (maybe - I am not good with reading the volt meter). Plus have one that is just the light - ground and hot and the light lights up. That one did not light up.

ok, standby

ok, you are going to need to do a continuity test of the green/red wire from the fuse to the brake light connector.

Think I am getting beyond my capabilities for this project. If it is the wire, I would not know where to start to look for a broken wire. Continuity test is past my knowledge base. Going to take it to someone that knows what they are doing - you know what you are doing - I mean me.Thank you for the help in getting me this far.
Plus it is time for a beer.

yes sir. you are welcome. things just arent easy anymore are they.... I live it each day believe me.

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving a 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great thanksgiving

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
Will do. Will let you know the outcome. Just getting to deep for me. If it was the flux capacitor I can replace that!! Have a Happy thanksgiving.

lol....ok sir. thank you