Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

It ran out of gas and i put 5 gallons of fuel in and i dont…

It ran out of...

It ran out of gas and i put 5 gallons of fuel in and i dont think im getting fuel pump functioning

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

This is the original as far as i know i removed and applied 12 volts it worked i re installed it i dont think its working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Jaguar?

2000 s type 3.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the fuel pump and applied 12 volts it worked i re attached it and before installing it i opened the ignition and it turned on but after installing it again still not getting fuel to the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This started when the the car ran out of fuel

11/21/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when you turn ther key on, can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

i cant really tell

do you have anyone there to put their ear to the fuel door to listen?

We tried I don't hear anyting

ok, so the pump isnt getting power to it. did you check for power at the connector when you had access to it?

have you tried resetting the inertia switch?

still no power

ok, check for power at the inertia switch on the green/orange wire with the key on.

there is power eveywhere except the pump

standby

fuse is perfect

ok, pull the fuyel pump relay out and see if the prongs are numbered 30,87,86,85 or 1,2,3,5

where is this relay located?

same box where the fuse you said is perfect

this is correct i ordered a new fuel pump i will pick it up in the morning im at my wits end im selling this car thanks for everything

i though you said it ran when you applied 12 volts to it?

I feel ya about being at wits end, believe me but if it worked when putting power to it, dont waste your money on a new pump.

There is power everywhere the pump is not working when it's inside the tank again it is a 2000 what's another 50 bucks

ok, did you check to make sure the ground is good?

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving a 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

I will let me try the pump tomorrow and I will let you know if this did the trick or whatever else it is thanks again

ok, my friend, thanks

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you and let me know how it goes.

As I suspected fuel pump was the problem replaced and running I gave you 4 stars happy thanksgiving

thank you. happy thank giving to you also