Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I saw the brake light indicator on my 2005 lexus es330. the

Hi. I saw the...
Hi. I saw the brake light indicator on my 2005 lexus es330. the bulb was out on the trunk brake light. I changed it. The indicator is still on. Now what? Wiring?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: with the last oil change, couple of months ago
JA: What is the model of your '05 Lexus?
Customer: es330
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing myself if I can. I changed the bulbs on car and trunk
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't think so
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is this the red brake light?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No. the gold light that looks like a car with the lines coming out at the end

This would indicate there is a wiring issue, does the trunk light work now?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No

Ok, all of the brake lights use the same power source.

Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No. The trunk lights work on the right side, the left one is out

Ok, I understand now. Be that as it may, all of the brake lights do use the same power source. What I would do is look at the wiring where it comes out of the body and to the trunk deck. It may have broken a wire in that area. The wires should split and go to each side, this would explain why one side isn't working. They also share the same ground, so this does point to a broken wire and the most likely place will be where the wire flexes all the time.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you so much. I got it now.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you. You answered my question
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician