Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have been told that I should never try to jump start my…

I have been told that...
I have been told that I should never try to jump start my 2004 BMW 745i if the battery is dead or I WOULD RISK BURNING OUT THE COMPUTER THAT OPERATES THE BATTERY. iS THIS CORRECT?
11/21/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

There is a little bit of a risk jump starting any vehicle but 99% of problems are caused by hooking up cables backward. Just make sure positive goes to positive and negative goes to negative. I wouldn't be worried about jump starting vehicle, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

Dan, Technician
Thank you very much.
Do you have an answer to the question I sent prior to this regarding my lights flashing "transmission failsafe" etc.?

I​t sounds like possibly a wiring/connection problem on one of the modules, a ground problem, or a failing module. These vehicles really aren't the easiest to DIY with, I think your best option may be to take to dealership but someone else who may have seen this and has a better alternative still may answer the question you have that is open.