Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

The door actuator on our 2013 450h passenger front side quit

working and now the door...
The door actuator on our 2013 450h passenger front side quit working and now the door won't unlock. I need to unlock the door to replace the actuator.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Nope. I replaced the driver side actuator last year without any problems. But the door never failed to not be able to unlock.
JA: What is the model of your '13 Lexus?
Customer: RX
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I can't replace the actuator because I can't unlock the door manually. If I force the manual lock it might break.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know how to unlock the door.
11/21/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

what sounds like is the actuator is stuck in lock position and jamming the linkages. When in this situation there are only two choices , Try disconnecting the battery and see if the manual lock works then, the only other option is to either get a slim jim to pull up on the door rod inside the door itself . If your a member of AAA they will do that for free. That is what we do in our shop in those situations.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok, I can't try the battery option until Wednesday due to business travel. So, just to confirm, a slim jim would work in this case to manually unlock the door? I don't belong to AAA so who might be able to do this for me?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I remember when I replaced the driver side actuator that the linkage arm runs horizontally. So a slim jim works in that orientation?

you'd be surprised all the shapes and configurations they have now to do that. If you don't have a membership to AAA then most locksmiths can also do that call first though

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. I'll try the battery technique Wednesday. If that doesn't work I'll go the locksmith route. I'm concerned that the actuator and maybe the linkage is bad.

possibilities but won't know until door panel is off to check.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. Thanks for the help. If for some reason I can't figure out what's wrong after I remove the panel I'll reach out to you again.

Please do that's what I'm here for. Have a great day.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician