Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Thank you for connecting me :) We have a Dodge Ram Laramie…

Hello! Thank you for...

Hello! Thank you for connecting me :) We have a Dodge Ram Laramie 2017 model 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Yes, let me explain the problem:) Today we had connected a trailer and had some travel After being back we disconnected the trailer as always and the right rear turning light started to light constantly Even when the truck is totally switched off it lights. Also, when trying to switch on the turning lights, the front one works fine and the rear one lights constantly So, we are looking for help what to check and how to manage this

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge Ram. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No, please connect me

11/20/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great today! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you with this.

So it sounds to me like we have a small short developed, either in the light circuit or a common failure on these is the actual lightbulb connector socket. Do you have access to a multimeter we can use to perform a few tests?

Hello! Thank you! We ar in Bulgaria and there is a time difference. This is why I answer now.
We do have a multimeter. Please advice what and how to check.
Thank you!

Hello, not a problem :)

We need to disconnect the rear light bulb and test the voltage with the light switch on and off, there should be 12V with it on, and 0V with it off. If there is still power when the switch is turned off then we will need to trace from the connector up to the fuse box and see if maybe there is a shorted wire.

It is also possible that the trailer connector pins have shorted, make sure to inspect them

Thank you! Shall do it in a few hours and write back to you the results.
How we can expect the trailer connector pins? I am asking as I suppose that this might be the problem as this happened when we disconnected the trail. May be start from there first? Any instructions how to check them?

Okay sounds good.

To inspect them just use a good flashlight and look at the pins and the clips that hold them in, make sure none of them have moved and started to touch each other, I have seen this happen many times and it can cause some strange issues

Thank you! We shall do that first. And what is the solution if so? Although the car is under warranty they do not have a lot of spare parts and knowledge about the trucks here. That is why we are looking for information by ourselves

Usually when it is under warranty you will be able to get a new pigtail connector/harness for it. Dodge makes them already assembled, you just plug them in

Thank you! Shall let you know what is going on and if we manage to repair it shall close the topic. Talk to you later!

Okay sounds great!

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Hello!I am writing just to give you a feedback what happened today. The problem was in the connector. It seems last night when we disconnected the trailer, the stopper screw has been unscrewed. Today, when we dismantled the connector it has fallen out of the connector. We screwed it back and all is fine now.
Thanks a lot for your advice!

Awesome!! Glad to hear you got it fixed :) Take care!!