Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I just changed the plugs on 2004 CTS, put the plenum back

down, hooked it all up...
I just changed the plugs on 2004 CTS, put the plenum back down, hooked it all up carefully and it starts immediately but quits within about 2 seconds. double checked it all.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: It cranks well. I will check the lights.
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Lights come on. I had a number two cylinder miss so I unhooked all the connections, lifted the plenum to clear the coils, replaced all 6 AC Delco Iridium same as OE, and put it all back together. Cleaned the throttle body.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cant think of anything.
11/20/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

Try starting it again, this time put the gas pedal to the floor while cranking it.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
With it to the floor it cranks but won’t start. It starts if I take my foot off but dies

ok, standby

what engine? 3.2, 3.6 or 5.7?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
3.6

ok thanks, ***** *****

disconnect the mass airflow sensor and try starting it

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Is that the piece right after the air filter?

yes

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Heck, can’t get it off

is there a red lock on it?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Not that I see. I can’t free it and it’s brittle. Is it a push in clip!

it should be a press down release.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It starts and runs disconnected

does it run good?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It revs good but I haven’t driven it. Recommendation?

replace it

actually, with the engine running, plug it back in

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hook it up again or replace the part

plug it back in with the engine running

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I plugged it in and it stays running. I turned it off and it started and died. Unplugged it and started fine

replace the mass airflow sensor

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Will my daughter be able to drive it to work unplugged tomorrow until I can get to it tomorrow night?

I myself wouldn't try that.

try removing the air tube and cleaning the mass airflow sensor

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Throttle body spray?

here. be very careful when spraying throttle body cleaner. dont get the nozzle to close to the sensor wire

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Noted

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
My first time...how do I rate you...I don’t see where. Thanks David

theres a rating scale on your side somewhere. thank you. you're welcome

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I rechecked and found the air channel had gotten disconnected when I checked the air filter. Now all is running fine. Thanks David.

very good!! saves some money and frustration!

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
Cary York
Phone call session started

thank you

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic