Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 407 HDI from time to time i cutting off fuel without any…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My 407...

Second opinion] My 407 HDI from time to time i cutting off fuel without any reson (engine off).

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not really there are no symptoms or info on dashboard, engine sounds normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?

407 hdi 2006 (2l engine)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I gave to garage where checked some issues like crank sensor. They filled up car to the top and looks like it works but disturbing thing is when fuel drops bellow half it starts playing funny

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've done 190000 km service just recently and things start to happen soon after.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
11/20/2017
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (with a scan tool) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you