Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

P0740 Code and Engine light on. That code I see it in the

P0740 Code and Engine light...
P0740 Code and Engine light on
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: that code I see it in the milleage counter when doing the ON/OFF 5 times and also with a scanner
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0 6L in line
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet y first idea was to replace the Torque converter but tht means bringing down the transmission a Trasnmission shop wants to re do the whole transmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what could be the easiest solution without touching the trasnmission
11/20/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Sure

there are no other options here with that code. regardless if its the torque converter, bad/worn seals, tcc solenoid or transmission fluid pump. The transmission will need opened up.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
no, just answer thru here
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
But could it be the solenoids that are located once you open to have the transmission fluid drained? What I mean by not opening the trasnmission, I mean by disconnecting it from the engine and bringing it down. My first thought was on changing the Torque Converter, but now I am thinking if it is better to drain the transmission fluid and replace the solenoids first, before anything else.

sure, it could be the torque converter clutch solenoid,

let me get you the location

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
As per the Manual, the P0740 says the following: Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system (TCC/PTU solenoid). So I am starting to wonder to replace the solenoids first and at the same time, since that needs to be done, the fluid is drained and replaced with new fluids and filter.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
AS it talks about the TCC/PTU solenoid. Is this solenid located within the Torque Converter itself in the bell housing, or the solenid that can be reached by opening and draining the fluid?

and that would be the best route to take. you have to drain the fluid and remove the valve body to access the solenoid pack

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
but what are the chances of that the replacement of the solenoid will "erase" the P0740 code?

that solenoid isnt replaceable. the entire valve body needs replaced.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
the entire valve body needs to be replaced? And how much could it be a new valve body? I know there are 2 to sensors/solenoids that can be replaced, being the Governor Pressure Solenoid one of them.

but not the TCC solenoid. yes the entire valve body would need replaced. Having a shop do the diagnostics that I sent with a DRB3 scan tool can narow down what the problem is instead of hoping.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I did scan the code by using a scanner connected to the computer interface (an Axtron ODB II). That gave me the code P0740.

that doesnt do anything except tell you the code. A DRB3 can get inside the TCM and operate all of the solenoids, test the line pressures etc....

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Got it. And I agree. Any DRB3 you could recommend that is affordable? Understand that the DRB3 should give you the exact symptom/problem and what is the correct step to perform, no?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Could it be just draining the fluid and putting new one, as I might have not changed it for around 30K miles?

it could be as simple as a fluid change. absolutely the first thing you can try.

as far as a DRB3 scan tool. its a dealer level scan tool. approximate price, 5,000.00

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
not a tool I can buy unless I really dedicate myself to fixing cars!!! So it will be mainly for dealers and mechanics.

yes. even a used one on ebay is 3,600.00

https://www.ebay.com/i/132376789811?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK, so going back to my P0740....the first and easy thing is to try replace the trans fluid and filters. Second option would be have a DRB3 scan everything and come up with the exact issue and resolution, since it could be as easy as replacing the valve body or having to bring down the transmission and change the torque valve converter or redo the whole transmission, or replace it with a new one. OR just sell the car!
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
AS it is a car for 2001 with aprox 170K miles, perhaps it is time to change it rather that continue fixing it.

I look at everything as if it were my car. when you start having transmission issues. you start thinking about saying bye bye. but having said that, replacing the fluid has fixed a lot of cars tranny problems.

I dont believe in additives or transmission repair in a bottle either . I leave that up to the customer.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I am starting to have that thought and be practical. Try to do a transmission fluid change to see if things improve, else, it is most probably a transmission problem and hence it is time for bye by car and welcome a new one!And agree that when talking about transmission, it is like talking about the engine itself, and better leave it to a professional or say bye bye to car.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Because I also don't want to try start experimenting, and for example change the valve body, which is going to cost money, and then find out that the issue still persists. That's why I am doing all this research in order to be sure the best thing to do.

well thought out. With me not being there to be hands on doesnt help either.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
since it is something that it is not just a $100 dollar fix, but rather something that can be much more, want to be sure what I am doing. And if it is going to be more than $2000, for the car price value for a 2001...better not invest more money on that car.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Quick question: what does DRB stand for?

wow, thats one I never had to think about..........

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
bot***** *****ne: with what I told you there i not too much additional information to do. Step 1: try to replace transmission fluid and see if it resolves issue. Step 2: if Step 1 does not work, better get a DRB3 and check the real problem and the correct solution. Step 3: bye bye car!

DRB= Diagnostic Readout Box

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I think that's all. Any other suggestion or recommendation or even tips?

as for your bot***** *****ne...yes sir

I believe we have covered everything. wish it was easier

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Than thank you very much for your support and time. IN case something else comes up to you mind that can be helpful or for me to try, let me know.

will do, Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you. happy thanksgiving.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks you and happy Thanksgiving.
David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic