Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Not charging new bat new alt looking for posabilities of…

Not charging new bat...

Not charging new bat new alt looking for posabilities of what else it could be

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

13 dodge avenger 2.4l 4 cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes well started with a bad Battery then lead to alt not working put a meter to it getting 14.5 to 13.5 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

What the battery

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Ok

I just want to get my info straight before we start. you now have a new battery and alternator in the vehicle and is not charging? Correct?

the alt is putting out 14.5 to 13.5 colts
the alt is putting out 14.5 to 13.5 volts

so it is charging then?

I am thinking it might be an defected alt where it's putting out volts but no amps I will be able to take it in to test it tomorrow at auto zone i don't think it's a bad comp because I am getting the volts

oh that's different has voltage but no amps to keep up to the demand? yes if it was a reman it can have a bad diod which would cause that.an AVR test that shows load and a diode test would confirm that.

Do you wish to keep our dialog open after you had this tested to make sure ?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Any thoughts on what else it might be I have the 140 amp think that might be wrong the pick was 140 or 115 amp

the alt should be 140 or higher depending on the options you have in your vehicle base is the lower one.

the rate of cgarge is controlled internal regulator in the alt.

140 will work if it was a 115 but it's an se so I think it's a*****

for sure

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Ok thanks I just needed to bounce ideas off on what it could be it's almost a for sure a bad Reman alt since I don't have a meter to that will test amps that high I will take it to auto zone for testing and confirm it